The Makalu Base Camp Trek is a challenging journey to the base camp of Mount Makalu, the world’s fifth highest mountain, which features the famous crossing of Shipton La.
Our itinerary is planned to allow for sufficient acclimatization to the altitude and to maximize the efficiency of travel time, providing ample opportunity to explore the Makalu Base Camp. This trail bring travelers to the humid lowlands near Tumlingtar on the Arun River, continuing through one of the least frequented areas of Nepal to Makalu Base Camp. This particular trek showcases a broad spectrum of ecosystems and cultures. In the areas of the trek in lower altitudes, visitors can experience local lifestyles in the Rai villages and, at higher altitudes, Sherpa villages.
Trekkers will cross Shipton La at an elevation of 4216m and cross into the remote and beautiful Barun river valley before their arrival at Makalu Base Camp. Along the trail, visitors will experience superb views of the south face of Makalu as well as Everest, Lhotse, Chamlang and Kanchenjunga. Makalu Barun National Park, established in 1992, is Nepal’s eighth-largest national park, covering 2330 sq. kilometres of terrain.
This area features a remote, untamed wilderness containing some of the last remaining pristine forests and alpine meadows in Nepal. Due to its relative inaccessibility, the area receives few foreign trekkers. That being said, for those who are interested in having an “authentic” trekking experience in Nepal, this particular route is highly recommended!
Day 1 :
Arrive at Kathmandu and transfer to hotel (1350m)
Day 2 :
Fly to Tumlingtar (400m), 40 minutes flight
Day 3 :
Trek to Mure (1,500m) -5 to 6 hours
Day 4 :
Trek to Seduwa (1,493m) -5 to 6 hours
Day 5 :
Trek to Tashi Gaun (2,050m) - 3 to 4 hours
Day 6 :
Trek to Kahuma Danda (3,500m) - 5 to 6 hours
Day 7 :
Trek to Mumbuk (3,500m) -5 to 6 hours
Day 8 :
Trek Mumbuk to Nehe Kharka (3,750m) -6 to 7 hours
Day 9 :
Trek Nehe Kharka to Sherson (4,600m) -6 to 7 hours
Day 10 :
Free day at Sherson for a day excursion to Makalu Base Camp 4800m
Day 11 :
Trek Sherson to Yangri Kharka (3,645m) -6 to 7 hours
Day 12 :
Trek Yangri Kharka to Mumbuk (3,400m) -5 to 6 hours
Day 13 :
Trek Mumbuk to Kahuma Danda (3,500m) -5 to 6 hours
Day 14 :
Trek Kahuma Danda to Navagaun (2,500m) via Tashi Gaun – 6 to 7 hours
Day 15 :
Trek Navagaun to Num via Seduwa – 6 to 7 hours
Day 16 :
Trek to Chichila (1,800m/5,904ft) -5-6 hrs walk
Day 17 :
Trek Seduwa to Khadbari – 6 to 7 hours
Day 18 :
Trek Khadbari to Tumlingtar (400m) -2 to 2 ½ hours
Day 19 :
Fly Tumlingtar to Kathmandu and farewell dinner
Day 20 :
Transfer to airport and fly back to home.
Sat 5 March, 2016
Sun 20 March, 2016
Thu 7 April, 2016
Fri 15 April, 2016
Tue 10 May, 2016
Wed 25 May, 2016
Mon 5 September, 2016
Sun 18 September, 2016
Thu 6 October, 2016
Thu 20 October, 2016
Wed 2 November, 2016
Package Price:On Request
The Trip Cost Includes
- Airport transfers by private car in Kathmandu
- Round way flight to and from Tumlingtar
- Trekkers Information Management System (TIMS) card
- Special Trekking Permit as required
- Full board meal (veg. / non veg.) prepared by our expert cook.
- Trekking equipment (two men tent, dining tent, kitchen tent, Table with chairs, kitchen utensils, Down sleeping bag / Jackets, walking sticks, and other necessary equipments during the trek).
- 2 nights accommodation in Kathmandu at 3 star Nepalese standard hotel.
- Twin sharing accommodation on tents during the trek.
- 1 experienced and license holder trekking guide and his daily meal, wage & accommodation
- Required porters/carrier for a group of 2 person ( carry 20-25kg) and his daily meal, wage & accommodation
- Our service charge & value added tax
The Trip Cost Excludes
- Insurance - coverage your personal accidents, medical and Helicopter Evacuation
- Meals in Kathmandu ( Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner)
- Nepal entry visa fee, international flights
- Your personal expenses such as alcoholic drinks, cold drinks, mineral water, laundry, internet, phonecall
- Expenses occurred due to unavoidable Events i.e. road wrecks, flight delays etc.
- Tips for the guide & Porters